Birth Story
McCoy Tyler Ivins
July 21, 2013
On Friday, July 19th, I had Dr. Curtis Black
strip my membranes. It did nothing that day for me except make me feel like I
had ridden a horse for a week straight. I did have two contractions that night,
but they came and went just like that.
On Saturday, I was
done with life pretty much and just wanted to sit and hang out. So I did. I
packed the baby’s hospital bag hoping that would give him extra incentive to
want to come out. I sat all day outside on a chair and watched the girls play
in the rocks and ride wiggly cars. I was so worthless; I barely even fed my
kids. I gave them a bowl of cereal at 10:30 and let them have treats and snacks
to munch on all day. At about 4:30, I decided nothing was going to happen, so I
picked myself up and started to fix an early dinner since we hadn’t eaten
anything. I got dinner going which in turn started some contractions. After
dinner and still have constant non-painful contractions, I told Tyler to get me
on the mountain on the bumpiest road he could find. Of course, that wasn’t a
problem because he wanted to go check on the cows anyway. We got up on the
mountain and Tyler was doing everything possible to make my ride miserable and
uncomfortable. By the time, we got up on top of the rock slide, I was started
to have some pain and discomfort with each contraction. I tried to put one foot
on the rock slide to hike up and just couldn’t. So I started pacing to keep the
contractions going. At this point, I was sure that I was going to give birth on
the mountain because I was in PAIN! Tyler and the girls got down from the
rocks, and I said “We have to go…I am having good ones now!” While on top of
the rock slide, Tyler spotted some cows, so as we were passing them while I was
literally crying (because my pain tolerance sucks) Tyler says… “So should we
get these cows out later or right now?” with the eye like now would be the best
Hun…but you decide. I said I don’t care, so he jumped out as fast as he could
before I had time to change my mind. I drove the truck down the road a little
while and got out and started walking down the mountain road because my
contractions were starting to ease a little bit. My back pain and the tension
in my body hadn’t relaxed, but I didn’t want to take any chances. Tyler came
and picked me up and by the time we got home, my contractions were coming less
strong and way apart. We got the kids into the bath and jammies. Tyler left to
go unload hay at the field, while the girls watched a show and I got in the shower.
After sitting and talking to Tyler when he got home, he made me a cheese
tortilla and he thought in his mind “don’t put salsa on it so she doesn’t go
into labor” and I thought “don’t put salsa on it so I don’t get heart burn.” So
Tyler blames the tortilla that he made me. He thinks it threw me into labor. I
got into bed and as I was getting into bed, I felt this horrendous contraction
go through out my body and in an instant, my back pain was back, my body felt
old and I was having contractions every 6 minutes. I laid there for a while and
finally decided to get up and walk around. Mean while, Tyler said let me know
when you want to go. I told him to sleep for a few minutes. After walking
around for 40 minutes, I text Tara Grover at 12:15 to see if I was crazy to go.
She talked me into and I told her to come over in about 30 minutes so she could
stay with the girls. I went and woke up Tyler and said I wanted to go, but I
was going to get a few things and to start getting ready. About 15 minutes later,
after I had gotten ready and was packing a few things, I went and woke up Tyler
again and asked him “if he wanted to take me to the hospital or if I should
call someone to take me?” He finally got out of bed and starting getting ready
– he had worked all day on golf carts and was physically drained – but still.
Tara got over here. I had Tyler take a picture of me and I might as well have
asked me to get him a million dollars. He was so put out. We got in the car at
12:52 am. We went Dr. Black’s house and he wanted to stop and have him check me
to see if we really needed to go to the hospital. Then we went past Nicole’s
house and all her lights were on, so he LITERALLY called her to ask her if she
could take me. After he told me he was so tired for the 4th time and
that his back hurt, I let him have it. I told him to suck it up and get over it
that we were having a baby tonight and he couldn’t get out of it and to stop
crying or else I was going to be really pissed. He stopped. As we were getting
into Monticello, he started laughing and said we didn’t go over 55 mph the
whole time. I told him that I noticed how fast we had been going…and that it
had taken us a 35 mins to get here when it was normally a 20 minute drive. We
laughed about it.
As we were walking into the ER at 1:30 am, Tyler was like
“It just doesn’t seem like we are having a baby!, this isn’t how it seems in
the movies! We shouldn’t be laughing and joking about everything…we are
supposed to be frantic and running around cause we are having a baby!” We just
laughed. We rang the door bell and walked in. We told the nurse, we didn’t know
what we were doing even though this was our 3rd child. We just
laughed the whole time getting checked in. I think the nurses thought we were
crazy. We just have never done the whole “baby thing” we always have been
induced.
At 2 am, I was admitted because I was in deed having
constant contractions and dilated even more from Friday, so Dr. Black started
me on PIT. I didn’t have one contraction from 2-3 am. I thought maybe Dr. Black
felt bad for me so he just admitted me, but I guess PIT can slow your
contractions for a while. From 3 – 4 am, the contractions started picking up so
I let them know to call Brad Young the anesthesiologist since it would take him
while to get there and set up.
Brad got there about 4:30 am and we started the epidural at
4:45 am. Brad asked me if I had scoliosis….I thought that was a weird question
to ask and then it dawned on me about my SI joint, so I told him I had problems
with that and he said “ok, ya, now that makes sense.” He was having a hard time
evening lining my back out to mark where to put the needle in cause my spinal
cord WASN’T straight. He said “I can tell that you have been in pain for the
last little while” I was glad someone had sympathy on me because I had been in
miserable pain. Anyway, it took him 30 minutes to get the epidural in and
working cause he had to do some maneuvering around. He had to twist and swerve
so it kind of hurt to put it in. It only worked on one side, so they had to do
some more maneuvering with it to get it working on both sides of my legs. They
finally laid me down and it was working all nice. Apparently, my blood pressure
dropped because they put oxygen on me but I had no idea till they told me a minute
later. Once they left, Tyler and I slept till Doctor Black got there about 6:50
am and broke my water. (At this point, no one but Tara knows we were at the
hospital…that was kinda fun to have our own little time and secret that we were
in the hospital and no one was bugging us) But then about 7:30, we decided we
couldn’t keep the secret anymore and at least thought we would let our parents
know what was going on. I called my Mom (who was in Escalante for the Griffin
family reunion…she didn’t answer so I called David and Channy to let them know
and to tell my Mom). I called DeAnn and she didn’t answer, so I called Michael
and Michele’s house because they were there, and talked to Michael. I told him
and then talked to DeAnn. When I told her to come home cause we were going to
have a baby, she said “well you have to go to the hospital first!” I told her
we were in the HOSPITAL!!!! Dr. Black
came back at 7:50 am to check me and said I was at a 5 and they would give me a
couple of hours to sleep.
At like 8:28 am, I woke up feeling this tremendous pressure
and some commotion going on in my belly. The only way to describe it was like I
was going to explode out of my rear end. I thought either something is wrong or
I am ready to push because this baby wants out. I thought well, the nurse is
coming in at 8:30 to up my PIT so I will wait till then to tell her what is
going on. I woke up Tyler and said “either something is wrong or this baby is
coming now!!” Of course, he was like whatever you’re not ready; you’re only at
a 5 and went into the bathroom. (The nerve…seriously) So the nurse comes in
like at 8:32 am, and I tell her something is wrong or I am ready so I asked her
to check me. After she did something on the machine, she finally reaches in to
check me and she is there awhile just feeling around. Then she calmly and
nicely says…”I am going to get the Doctor.” So I looked at Tyler and said
“See…I told you.” Anyway at 8:40 am, Dr. Black comes walking in and asks if he
can check me. I told him sure. So he reaches in there and immediately says “Oh
my gosh!” By the tone of his voice and the look on his face, I knew something
was wrong. So my quick response to him was “What the hell is wrong?” I
immediately felt bad for swearing at my doctor but I was panicked. He looks at
me and Tyler and said “We need to do an emergency C-section, this baby is
breech.” I started crying instantly. It was just such an intense moment that
was all I could do. Dr. Black said let me tell you all the risks involved to
try and deliver this baby vaginally and not to mention it hasn’t been done in
this hospital since Dr. Goone (30 years ago). I told him in between breaths
that it was OK, I just wanted the baby to be OK but I really didn’t want to do
a C-section cause I had just labored all night, but we would do what we had to
do to get the baby out safely and quickly. Tyler kept saying “It is OK, we can
do a C-section, and it will be OK.” So as Dr. Black was leaving to go call the
OR team, he asked Tyler if they wanted to give me a blessing. I will forever be
grateful that in that moment, Dr. Black was thinking of that and that my
husband without even stumbling over his breath answered a fervent yes. He
didn’t even ask me, he just said yes.
Dr. Black came back in and said he had text Kelly Jeppesen
(my neighbor) to help assist him in the C-section and they had called Brad at
his Elder’s quorum meeting to get him back in here to help with the epidural
and the other nurses and people were getting the operating room ready. He asked
me my name, but all I could do was cry so Tyler had to tell him. Dr. Black
consecrated me and Tyler gave me a quick blessing of everything would go OK
with me and the baby the right thing would get done and the baby would be safe.
Dr. Black then checked me at 8:45 am, right after the blessing and he just said
“This baby is coming now. There is no time for a C-section.” He ran to the door
and yelled down the hall, “This baby is coming now! Get everyone in here.” All
I could do at this point, from that declaration is cry even harder. I was a
WRECK….a DISASTER. Tyler tried his dang best to console me. I am sure he was
completely stressed, but up until this point, he was 100% there for me and not
showing his emotions to me to try and be strong.
(This whole time, you could tell Dr. Black was stressed and
tense, but there was never one time in the whole time that I felt like he
wasn’t in control. The only way to describe him was he was cool, calm and
collected. But he definitely was giving orders and taking control of the situation
and telling everyone what they needed to do. I felt like my room was a little
army of ants marching to the queen’s beat. He never led on that he was really
stressed like he admitted later.)
So within 30 seconds, there was Tyler, me, Doctor Black,
Brad Young, my nurse, the baby’s nurse, and two OR people in the room. Dr.
Black is breaking down the bed and someone is putting my legs up on the props.
Dr. Black said to someone call Dr. Jeppesen, he is not going to make it over
here. So they yelled down the hall to have someone call him. At this point,
Brad kind of took over at this point to help assist Dr. Black and was my other
“attending physician.” He was so nice and so positive throughout the whole
experience. It was nice that he was there. I looked at Dr. Black has he is throwing on
his scrubs and said “How many times have you delivered a vaginal breech birth?”
He looked at me and said “You want an honest answer?” I said yes. He replied
“You will be my first.” I was shaking-crying uncontrollably at this point. I am
sure if Dr. Black would have thought about it, he would have been offended that
I started crying even harder. It was just an intense moment for me. But
thankfully Dr. Black was focused on the baby and getting him out.
So Dr. Black goes up in there and is talking out loud and
for this momma, I was completely dialed into what he was saying and his body
language. I was glad that he was talking out loud, so I knew what was going on.
Tyler was right there in my face talking right to me and rubbing my arm. Dr.
Black pushed is bum back up in there so he could get his legs out first. He was
in there fishing for awhile, when I heard “Got one leg.” Then he went fishing
again. He was in there for while and finally said “His other leg is up by his face,
so I need you to push so I can get his other leg brought down to get it out.” I
tried to push; I don’t think I was that much help. All I did was take a tiny
breath and just squeezed my belly. I was too busy crying. After a minute, I
hear “Ok, I got the other leg down and its out.” Then the only thing that
brought joy to my heart during my whole delivery was I heard Dr. Black say, “Ok
he just peed on me, I have never been peed on first when delivering babies.” I
did laugh a little. Then “Ok, I need to get the arms out. I need you to push;
they are up over his head.” He got his arms down and out. Then Dr. Black says
“Ok, for the hard part. His head…I am going to need you to push for me.” I
pushed (rather squeezed) and Dr. Black was jerking around up in there and what
not and all of a sudden baby is on my belly….NOT breathing. All I could hear
was Dr. Black saying “Breath baby breath.” Brad is whacking this baby on the
back and Dr. Black is suctioning his mouth out. I was hysterical. All of a
sudden, I heard sobs coming out of Tyler and I look up and he is hysterical. It
really was the most intense and crazy moment we will ever experience in our
lives. McCoy had “blood” coming out of him, so I asked what it was and Dr.
Black said it was just the stuff he swallowed coming out and not to be alarmed.
After about 20 seconds, McCoy let out this tiny little cry and you could feel
the entire room sigh a breath of relief. Brad took him over to the table to
work on him a little more, but he let me see him and give him a kiss before he
took him. They started rubbing him down over at the table and had the heater on
him. They were still suctioning and then started giving him some oxygen.
McCoy’s Apgar score was a 7.8, so considering the circumstance that was great
for me! Meanwhile, Dr. Back is getting the placenta out and saying to himself
“That baby is a miracle. Seriously a miracle we got him out like that.” Over
and over again. I don’t know all the risks involved, because I am no doctor and
quite frankly I don’t want to know…but McCoy is a miracle. So much wrong could
have taken place, but it didn’t. We were being watched over and protected from
Heavenly Father himself and a few other angels. After we got McCoy back, when I
saw him again…I knew he was a McCoy. He just looked like a McCoy to me. A
little while later, Dr. Black came in to check on the baby and us. He told
Tyler I am still trying to calm down. I am still just as tense as I was
earlier. That was crazy. Tyler said we were too but everything was looking good
as far as his oxygen levels and his body signs and language so there was
nothing really to worry about. We got McCoy circumcised the next morning and
his PKU and shot taken care of and was out of there by noon. The girls came
over to see him at the hospital and were completely ecstatic to be there. Chez
was a little stand off-ish but not to the baby, just to me cause I “looked”
different with my IV and being in the hospital bed. Aspyn was on cloud 9
telling me “Thank you for having this baby so she could love him forever!” And
asked if “We could keep him forever?” Yes..Yes… little girl. We will keep this
little boy with us forever and ever because we are an eternal family. And a
very blessed one too.
Side note:
*We didn’t have our camera when I gave birth. We didn’t
bring in any of our stuff, because honestly we didn’t think we would be staying
to have a baby that night. After Dr. Black told me the baby was coming the
first thing I panicked over was that I didn’t have my camera. I told Tyler to
go get it and he wasn’t budging to go get it. He said it was OK not to have it.
I was mad for like 5.7 seconds and that’s when everything started happening, so
soon the camera was forgotten and it definitely was not a priority after that.
I was still sad we didn’t have it for when I got McCoy back so we could have
taken some good pictures instead of cell phone pictures. Oh well.
*About 6 months, I just started having this feeling that something
would go wrong with something of this pregnancy. I wasn’t sure what it was, but
when Dr. Black said we need to do this emergency C-section and this baby is
breech, all I could say was “I knew it, I knew something was going to not be
right.”
*Umbilical cord was 90 cm long. Super long, super healthy
this turned into a blessing that helped the baby and helped the delivery go a
lot smoother.
*At my 3 day check up, my doctor let me know that I had two
scars on my placenta the size of limes. He wasn’t sure how or why they were
there, but one was really close to my cord and that if it would have been any
closer, I would have had a stillborn birth. This whole pregnancy was pretty
much a miracle I am learning. All the things that could have gone wrong that didn’t. We are so blessed.
*I strongly believe there were angels in the room with us
helping. The whole experience was spiritual, once you stepped back and looked
at it from hind sight. Going through it, was obvious rough and I wouldn’t even
wish it on my enemy to do it over again. My doctor told me that he felt guided,
directed and prompted the whole time. It made me so happy and relieved to know
that I have a Doctor who in the critical times, would think about giving me a
blessing. I was too much of a wreck that Tyler was trying to calm me down that
for Dr. Black to make that recommendation was pretty special. And then for my
husband and my doctor to lay their hands on my head to give me a priesthood
blessing was pretty cool. I know for certain no questions that the Lord was
watching over us and protecting me and my family that day.
*I believe McCoy really is a miracle baby, the more I think
about or learn about what could have gone wrong, the more I have to shut it out
of my mind. The fact that the hospital hasn’t done a vaginal breech delivery in
30 years and that my Doctor hasn’t ever done one either just gives me the
chills. From the cord, to the scars on the placenta to his head being tiny
enough and McCoy being skinny and lanky was a miracle…also me being 2 weeks
early was a miracle. In October of 2012,
we went to the temple just to go and I was sitting in the Celestial room and I
thought to myself, I should ask for something. I said in my mind, when should
we start trying for another child and instantly, not a second later I heard you
will have one now and the overwhelming calm came over me that now was a good
time to get pregnant. Well, I got pregnant the next month. I just think with
being prompted that another child would come soon to us, the pregnancy went
great even though it could have turned out differently and the labor and
delivery was as good as to be expected given the circumstances that there is a
bigger purpose for McCoy. It may only be for one person in this world, or for
our family or for something more, but I believe with my whole heart and soul
that McCoy truly has a purpose for being on the Earth in our home at this exact
moment. He has something to do. The Lord wants him here and I couldn’t be any
luckier than to be the mother of this child.
*People are talking about this delivery. The story is going
around town. A lab tech came in the next morning after us having him, telling
me that he heard about the delivery from the people on the ambulance that came
in that morning. I have had people when
I am out and about just saying “I heard about the delivery!” Dr. Black said he
has had people he didn’t even know come up and want to talk about it and how
crazy it was. One of my friends heard that I had McCoy in the hallway on the
way to the OR room, that I didn’t make it to the surgery room and had him in
the hall. TOO FUNNY!
2 comments:
Loved this story! How awesome! I bet your Daddy was helping on the other side too. That was one of my first thoughts....that he was there helping make sure things went well. So cool Lacey! Glad to hear that all is well.
Wow! I can't even believe it! I am so glad that you and baby are okay! What a wonderful blessing!
Post a Comment