Monday, November 21, 2011

Official welcome into home owning...

11-11-11: Tyler turned 29. Happy birthday to you Babe!!! Tyler and I will remember this day not only as Tyler's birthday gone terribly wrong but it will also go down as a day from hell. Nice introduction huh? But I caught your attention.

On November 10th, we closed on our mortgage loan at 5 pm. On November 11th at 8 am, our brand new shiny home decided to give us a house warming gift. OUR BASEMENT FLOODED. Nice.

I woke up to Tyler saying Hun, get out of bed! There's water in the basement. I opened my eyes and thought, did I just hear him correctly? Well, I was thinking a "little" bit of water. Oh no. A lot of water. Holy Crap.

Tyler came in to make Chezer's a bottle. He turned on the water and no water came out. Not one drop. He went downstairs to find the main water line coming into the house was GUSHING out water. He ran upstairs and outside to turn the main water line off. He had to come in and get soem pliers to do it. He got the water shut off and came in and told me to get out of bed. I went downstairs to 2 inches of water in some places. The water had covered 75% of our basement. Thankfully the basement isn't finished but about 75% of our stuff is in the basement. Our saving grace was that I am addicted to tote's so most of the important stuff was in totes and didn't get touched. The other stuff that was in boxes was wrapped in plastic or something so we really only lost a few books, picture frames and all of Tyler's PGA books that he completed at ASU which is sad but all in all we got REAL lucky. Tyler caught the water within about 2-3 minutes of the time the pipe burst from shutting it off. If it would have been going for a minimum of 30 minutes we would of had a total loss.

Our plumber came over and was "mystified" (was the word he used) as to how it happened. We think one of the fittings just wasn't compressed all the way and it just snapped lose. What a mess. So Tyler, David and I spent all day getting water out of the basement, going through every box or tote to make sure nothing was wet and if it was get it out of the box and stack it somewhere else. So needless to say...Tyler had one hell of a birthday.

The basement is now dry and you would never know that we had a flood in it. With the exception that all of our crap that was once organized is now scattered everywhere.



Aspyn had SOO much fun riding her bike through the water and splashing around.

1 comment:

Kyndra Johnson said...

Oh man that sucks!! Glad hardly anything was ruined though!