Thursday, July 19, 2012

Ketchikan, Alaska

Ketchikan is the Salmon City of the world or so they say. My entire goal of this trip was to see some bears catching salmon in their mouths on the salmon runs and I had heard Ketchikan was the place to see the action. Well, unfortunately for me, the salmon hadn't made it up that north yet, so they weren't running. Stupid. Well, that didn't stop me from spending our savings account and booking a float plane tour to go on a private tour (just me and Tyler and obviously the pilot) to fly 60 miles north to watch Grizzly bear. Tyler was pissed at how much money I spent, but we were going. We both were way scared to go in a little plane, but they assured us it was nothing. It was nothing. We didn't get sick ONE time. I couldn't even feel the stupid plane landing or taking off. It was amazing. We only saw one Grizzly digging up so clams in an inlet. It was kinda small, but bigger than the Colorado bear we see. We just flew right in the pilot said you can get out, so me and Tyler just got out and stood on the float part of it. That was scary to me but way cool. The scenery was AMAZING!!!! We saw some of the coolest terrain I have ever seen in my life. Our pilot was kind of a prick and ended our tour early so we were kinda bummed but it was way cool to go up on a float plane and see the sights though. My new bucket list thing is to fly into Kodiak Island and see the big ol Kodiak Grizzly bears now.

Most of Alaska is so swampy becuase the snow has no where to go. Our pilot said no one just goes hiking around. One its too steep and you can easily get lost but two its just so marshy that its too thick to go through. Every where we say, there were pools or lakes of water. They were water falls everywhere. It was cool.










Tyler so excited to be co pilot
Scenery while taking off
Our boat
I never did actually get a picture of the plane, but I watched enough that I decided this was the size of ours. It flew past our boat so I snapped a picture. Our plane was yellow.
The Grizzly or in Alaska they call them Brown bear

Just eating some clams
Some cool Jelly fish in the harbor
These red ones were poisonous
I felt bad for this eagle. It was on display with the hawk and owl. They were rescued from the wild. This eagle just sat there with his wings out like that. It just looked uncomfortable.  LOL.


The native people (Indians or Eskimo people (same thing)) of Ketchikan are the ones that are popular for Totem Poles. I guess they were the ones who used to make them a long time ago. Now they are like protected artifacts in the woods where they were built a long time ago. These were just in the visitors center. :) We didn't' see the "real ones."
Whoops I didn't realize its upside down.

No comments: